Excessive weight impacts our body and mind alike. A few extra pounds of fat means not only an unfit body but a lethargic personality. Excess weight over your ideal Body Mass Index (BMI), makes your body look unattractive and makes you look older than you really are. So the question here is, how to reduce weight?
So if you haven’t started with your loss goals, you should set one up today. Knowing your goals is the first step to achieving it.
In order to reach your weight loss goals, the foremost thing is to maintain consistency – also called as the streak. And here are five tips that you can deploy in order to achieve your weight loss goal.
- Prepare a plan: First write down how much you want to lose, and in what time you intend to lose the weight. If you don’t have a plan yet, consider targeting a BMI of 23. Here’s how you can calculate it. Divide your weight (in Kg) by the square of your height (in meter). So if you are 1.8 m tall with 95 kg weight, then your BMI would be 29.32, and your target weight loss should be 20.48 kg. Always measure your weight loss plans in terms of BMI. Anything from 18.5 to 24.9 is considered healthy.
- Organize:Once you have set the target for your weight loss, it is time for you to organize your diet. Around 3500 calories account for 1 pound of weight. So if you want to lose say 10 pounds in 20 weeks, then you should strive to lose around 250 calories/day. Figure out how many calories you eat and burn by using any calorie counter. Always choose the foods which you normally eat – except for junk. Because if you attempt a radical change from your current meal intake, then the chances of you sticking to it are abysmal. Get the right mix of foods and as long as you figure out calorie goals, you would find that you can even eat dessert once in a week or so.
- Add in Catalysts:They speed up the weight loss process. However, it is important not to get into the myths. For instance, the effect of consuming green tea isn’t an established factor in weight loss process. Instead, go for tried and tested remedies – like drinking honey lemon juice mixed with lukewarm water. A little bit of research will help you find a lot of interesting things – and at the same time will help you avoid things that don’t work.
- Exercise:Exercise helps you lose weight – quickly. Aerobic exercises like Jogging, swimming etc can help you lose weight quickly. In fact, swimming one hour in butterfly style can help you lose over 700 calories. As with food, get the right mix of exercises, and add some anaerobic ones too. It is important to ensure that you retain your overall strength throughout the course of dieting plan. Many people ignore this very key thing and end up worsening their overall fitness.
- Sleeping and breathing:These two are abstract but are really important. Fatigue is directly related to obesity, and until you fix it, the results will be temporary. Because if you don’t sleep well, you won’t eat, drink or exercise well and hence you’d end up piling more weight. Good health and balanced weight go hand in hand. And deep breathing helps you burn more calories. That’s one reason why yoga practitioners always lay a great emphasis on breathing right. A deep breathing over a course of time helps you achieve the right weight. It is a good habit that almost any individual should practice.
These five tips, if backed with a good plan and commitment should work wonders for you. It will help you not only achieve your weight loss goals but also to live a balanced lifestyle.